DON'T CROWD THE PLOW! GIVE SNOW PLOW OPERATORS ROOM TO DO THEIR JOBS!
FOLLOW THESE TIPS TO ENSURE YOU AND OTHERS ON THE ROAD REACH YOUR DESTINATION SAFELY!
Clearing the streets during a snow storm is difficult work for snow plow operators. It can also be extremely dangerous or deadly if proper safety techniques aren't utilized. Whether it is a PennDOT or state-owned truck, local municipal plow, or commercial truck operating by contract, please give these operators room to do their job, so the roadways are opened for everyone's use. Follow these safety tips from PennDOT:
1) Allow at least six car lengths of space behind an operating snow plow.
2) Never travel next to or alongside a plow truck.
3) Never try to pass several plow trucks plowing side by side in a "plow train."
4) Safely move as far away from the centerline of the road as possible, when approaching a snow plow in the opposite direction / head-on.
5) Stay alert! Slow-moving snow plows can be obscured by blowing snow.
PLEASE BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!